I have been sent the Mariner Jack Spice Trade Beard Balm for review.
I surprised myself with this product!
Dave Green the owner and creator of the mighty Mariner Jack who are based in Cornwall, messaged me and asked me to choose a scent I haven’t reviewed yet.
I surprised myself because I would usually steer clear of a scent that contained Cinnamon Leaf as the Clove notes are not something I like.
Having said that, I can appreciate its input in a scent blend when done right and I know that Dave knows what he is doing and creates scents that work rather than having one particular oil knock the back of your head off!
And I was right, the blend of Sweet Orange Peel and Cinnamon Leaf is nicely done, the sweet citrus scent of the orange is backed up by that Cinnamon Leaf and it almost has a cake like scent.
Now that could just be me because, well let’s face it, I am a cake eating chub and so my brain tends to look for cake everywhere.
The base for this scent is a blend of;
- Shea Butter
- Beeswax, Argan Oil
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Jojoba Seed Oil
And Dave of Mariner Jack produces a lovely balm, a light creamy colour and consistency and I just love these balms.
It is a light to medium balm and it is one you need to try!
And all of this packaged in the beautiful embossed tins that just give the whole thing a top quality look to match the contents.
Now I am not going to claim that this is one of my all time favourites but it proves that when someone with Dave’s skills blends a scent, then even a scent you may not be keen on can be appreciated in the product, that there is the mark of a craftsman!
So I am giving Spice Trade the Golden Beard Award because it is a very nice scent that I like despite containing an essential oil I would normally avoid and of course because of the quality of the balm itself.
The Spice Trade balm is available in 30ml for £12.45 or 60ml for £23.95 from the Mariner Jack website.
The balms are also available as;
- Plain Sailing – Unscented
- Navigator – Spearmint, Sweet Orange & Lime
- Anchor – Frankincense, Black Pepper & Ylang – review
- Cargo – Sandalwood & Bergamot
- Odyssey – Bergamot, Cypress, Clove & Verbena – review
- Newfoundland – Neroli, Patchouli & Lime
- Libertalia – Sandalwood, Patchouli & Leather – review
- Privateer – Tobacco & Vanilla – review
- Captains Charge – Sandalwood, Frankincense & Cypress – review
- Port Royale – Citrus Fruits, Cardamom & Saffron
- Admiral’s Blend – Rich Coffee, Walnut & Cocoa – review