I have been involved with an amazing project that started this year, it is called Disability Horizons TV.
I had been reviewing for the online disability magazine called Disability Horizons and I had written a couple of pieces for them as well, I pitched the idea for a video based spin off of Disability Horizons and so we gave it a go.
The first show was recorded and we discussed ‘sex, body image and disability representation’, it worked well, but the editing of the video was a marathon and nearly broke me and so we decided to live stream every other week from then on.
So we started and we signed up to a streaming service called Stream Yard.
I co-host with two amazing guys who are very well known in the disability community.
Dan is a Writer, broadcaster and a disabilities & mental health campaigner.
I first saw Dan on TV in front of Parliament on the BBC, he was ripping into someone who really did not have a clue nor cared about disability.
Dan has lived experience of mental health issues, he is a father to the powerhouse that is Emily and he is, in my opinion, one of the leading disability campaigners.
I first saw Dan on The Wright Stuff.
Mik is a broadcaster, journalist, actor and musician, as well as an expert in the field of access and inclusion for disabled people. Back in the 90s Mik had a television career and was one of the early crowd of disabled people who were pushing to make disability something was seen more and that disabled people were included more in the media.
He has a wealth of knowledge on many areas of disability and more stories than your local library. Mik is also quite controversial, and that works very well.
And then we have me, the lesser known of the three, and it is such an honour to work with these guys.
Now, it has been pointed out that we are ‘three white and middle-aged men’. That somehow means that we have (or so we have been told), less right to be doing what we are doing as we are not inclusive, diverse or well anything but white and middle-aged.
I wasn’t happy about that, because we have as much right as anybody else to live stream and talk about various topics on disability, chronic health and mental health.
But a *blows raspberry* to them as we also are joined on each episode by a guest.
And we have had some amazing guests thus far!
- Caroline Bathurst – Disabled Life Blogger & Podcaster
- George Baker – Disability Union founder https://disabilityunion.co.uk/
- Vanessa Bobb – www.a2ndvoice.com and www.autismthriveservices.com
- Carol Barraclough – https://www.spinal.co.uk/
- Grace Spence Green – Who is a doctor & a wheelchair user
- Georgia Vine – Blogger at https://notsoterriblepalsy.com/
- Elizabeth Wright – Paralympian, Speaker, Editor, Writer
The episodes are also available as a Podcast the following day
- Anchor FM anchor.fm/disability-horizons
- Breaker https://www.breaker.audio/disability-horizons
- Google Podcasts – https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy81OTVkMTA4NC9wb2RjYXN0L3Jzcw
- Radio Public https://radiopublic.com/disability-horizons-WabJp4
- Pocket Casts – https://pca.st/3i9vrtae
- Spotify – https://open.spotify.com/show/7MQdtWcs8e7PnO3xWfa9ae